In 2017/2018 New York State has given SUNY and CUNY 4 million dollars each to encourage faculty to adopt Open Educational Resources. As a SUNY Campus who agreed to begin the adoption of OER, Nassau Community College received $20,000.00 which was placed in an OER grant.
$500.00 grants available for faculty who adopt OER, according to the following criteria:
- must adopt/adapt/create OER for their class, and 51% of their course materials must be OER
- must agree to try and run the course for 3 years
- must keep statistics
- course must be running before money can be released
- must fill out a time card
- must have a masters in the subject matter that is being developed or previous experience in teaching the subject (a minimum of two semesters)
- must have 1)attended an OER workshop and/or 2) worked with the NCC Library or SUNY OER Services in identifying and implementing the OER Materials.
- cannot be a chair of a department
- cannot be on sabbatical
- must sign a contract that agrees to the above qualifications
$250 grant available for faculty for the Review/Evaluation of an OER textbook, according to the following criteria:
- they must review and evaluate an openly-licensed textbook or other open content as a potential replacement for the traditional textbook currently being used.
- they cannot review a previously reviewed textbook, a textbook can be reviewed only once
- they must contact Rosanne Humes to have the OER textbook or material approved before being reviewed/evaluated.
- they must send the completed review to Rosanne Humes before they can receive the money
- they must consent to having their review published on the OER LibGuide
- they must fill out one time card showing 5 hours of work to be paid at $50.00 per hour (they do not include time/days they are spending in their classrooms)
- they must have a masters in the subject matter that is being reviewed/evaluated or previous experience in teaching the subject (a minimum of two semesters)
- they must have worked with the NCC Library or SUNY OER Services in identifying the OER materials that are being reviewed/evaluated
- they cannot be a chair of a department
- they cannot be on sabbatical
- they must sign a contract that agrees to the above qualifications
- they will receive a certificate documenting their participation
Grant money is not guaranteed, it is available until the money is spent.
For more information on the grant, please email OER@ncc.edu.